2014 SFEROC

@ Homeaffairs in the UIF queue
Standing For Employment Regardless Of Colour

[Standing for the absurdity of skin colour as a criterion for employment]
At the beginning of 2014 I began writing up The Educators New Clothes for a master’s degree. I was doing this through a government higher education institution which I had been lecturing at, mostly part time, since 2001. My motivation for doing this was to secure my position so that I could continue teaching [design]. By August I was informed that masters is insufficient for white males as a qualification, that white men need a doctorate in order to be employed.
At the time taxi drivers were burning buses in various townships as a reaction to enforcement of fines. This violent anger reflected the anger and frustration within me as a reaction to this now constitutional employment policy. I felt like burning down the institution. Instead I went into protest by wearing a different coloured crocheted mask each day, as I entered the campus. I donned these masks at all times, during studio work, lectures and staff meetings.

Comments

Popular Posts